Sunday, April 19, 2015

Hello, Takayama

Sunday was a difficult day. We woke up and had breakfast at City Bakery at Shinagawa station.
Then we took a four-hour restful train ride from Shinagawa to Takayama, with only a 12-item bento and some sake for lunch.
Train service in Japan is pretty incredible. We took the bullet train from Shinagawa to Nagoya, and the Hida line to Takayama. The journey to Takayama is beautiful.
Chris seems to enjoy Hidatei Hanougi, our ryokan.
After a bath and nap, we woke up to this.
Not pictured: 6 other courses. After dinner we took the hotel shuttle to Hida, where there was some type of festival going on. Mostly naked men balanced on top of giant Q-tips, banged drums, and carried a huge float around. I'm not sure what's going on here, but I like it.
One of about a hundred takoyaki stands, in case dinner wasn't filling enough.
Tomorrow we explore Takayama. It's full of sake breweries, so I'm expecting another difficult day.

No comments: